Re: Removing a diskgroup from a corrupt ASM database

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 07:19:31 -0700 (PDT)

On May 22, 3:49 pm, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On May 22, 2:53 pm, daniel.oster..._at_visaer.com wrote:
>
> >  I had a disk failure so that the databases (ASM and actual database)
> > cannot see the disks.  Therefore the diskgroup DATA is unmounted and
> > cannot be remounted.
>
> > I'm ready to start over from scratch, I dropped the non-ASM database,
> > but still have an ASM database that knows about an unmounted
> > diskgroup.  But I cannot drop it because it is unmounted and I cannot
> > mount it because it is corrupt.
>
> > What do I do to free up this ASM instance to create a new diskgroup?
> > I'd even drop the entire ASM database but I cannot delete it via
> > DBCA.  Short of uninstalling Oracle and reinstalling and creating
> > everything new, what can I do?
>
> Look at the oracle doc ... drop diskgroup force ... and/or create
> diskgroup force.
>
> Oracle has comprehensive free doc on how to administer ASM.  Probably
> a better way to understand the environment than posting messages in a
> newsgroup ... i'm just saying.

Daniel, you have not provided enough information about how ASM is configured for anyone to give you specific advice. As John noted the ASM documentation has a lot of information that may allow you to recover from the loss. What you can do will depend on how ASM and the diskgroup was configured: ASM mirrow, external mirror, etc ....

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat May 23 2009 - 09:19:31 CDT

Original text of this message