Re: Removing a diskgroup from a corrupt ASM database

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 12:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

On May 22, 2:53 pm, daniel.oster..._at_visaer.com wrote:
>  I had a disk failure so that the databases (ASM and actual database)
> cannot see the disks.  Therefore the diskgroup DATA is unmounted and
> cannot be remounted.
>
> I'm ready to start over from scratch, I dropped the non-ASM database,
> but still have an ASM database that knows about an unmounted
> diskgroup.  But I cannot drop it because it is unmounted and I cannot
> mount it because it is corrupt.
>
> What do I do to free up this ASM instance to create a new diskgroup?
> I'd even drop the entire ASM database but I cannot delete it via
> DBCA.  Short of uninstalling Oracle and reinstalling and creating
> everything new, what can I do?

Look at the oracle doc ... drop diskgroup force ... and/or create diskgroup force.

Oracle has comprehensive free doc on how to administer ASM. Probably a better way to understand the environment than posting messages in a newsgroup ... i'm just saying. Received on Fri May 22 2009 - 14:49:09 CDT

Original text of this message