Re: how can i eliminate burleson's stuff from google search results? - Burbeson strikes back!

From: <rachwright01_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:48:37 -0700 (PDT)

On May 21, 5:47 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 8:46 am, rachwrigh..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > I looked up the entire checklist old Don provided:
>
> > >http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_01017.htm
>
> > > Gee, it's just chock full of errors, like the one posted above and the
> > > one regarding external authentication:
>
> > > "If using external authentication (ops$) verify that
> > > os_authent_prefix=ops$ and remote_os_authent=true your initialization/
> > > spfile."
>
> > > The error here is that os_authent_prefix does NOT need to be set to OPS
> > > $ or ops$ to use external authentication; you can have no prefix
> > > defined (os_authent_prefix='') and the authentication works as
> > > expected.  And the 'tip' of checking  your Oracle parameters:
>
> > > "Check your environmental parameters ($ORACLE_SID), e.g.:
>
> > > export ORACLE_SID=TEST
> > > sqlplus "/nolog"
>
> > > "
>
> > > proves what, exactly, except that the ORACLE_SID you set is valid
> > > (which is also proven by the ORA-01017 error because you had to get to
> > > the database to know the login/password wasn't valid), but NOT that
> > > it's valid for the username/password in question:
>
> > > $ export ORACLE_SID=ying
>
> > > $ sqlplus /nolog
>
> > > SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Thu May 21 07:28:19 2009
>
> > > Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> > > SQL> connect / as sysdba
> > > Connected.
> > > SQL> connect fred/flintstone
> > > ERROR:
> > > ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
>
> > > SQL>
>
> > > Oh, gee, fred is a user in the flong database ...
>
> > > $ export ORACLE_SID=flong
>
> > > $ sqlplus /nolog
>
> > > SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Thu May 21 07:28:19 2009
>
> > > Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> > > SQL> connect / as sysdba
> > > Connected.
> > > SQL> connect fred/flintstone
> > > Connected.
> > > SQL>
>
> > > So we know that ying is a valid ORACLE_SID  (again, a fact we already
> > > knew from the initial error) but what good does that do us?  And, if
> > > the ORACLE_SID wasn't valid we wouldn't get an ORA-01017, we'd get a
> > > TNS protocol error:
>
> > > $ export ORACLE_SID=yung
>
> > > $ sqlplus /nolog
>
> > > SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Thu May 21 07:33:11 2009
>
> > > Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> > > SQL> connect / as sysdba
> > > ERROR:
> > > ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>
> > > SQL>
>
> > > so I'm not seeing where that test is of any benefit to troubleshooting
> > > an "invalid username/password" error.
>
> > > The step of selecting from user_tables where username = '...' is
> > > classic, though, and this from "one of the world’s leading Oracle
> > > experts", according to old Don hisself.  To add more humor I found
> > > this disclaimer on his website:

> [...]

Hello! As stated above I'm the one responsible for correcting errors on the dba-oracle.com site.

I would sincerely like your feedback on how this page could be improved.

I work very hard to keep our pages current, but this is sometimes difficult due to the numerous changes between releases in Oracle.

Any constructive feedback you could offer would be very welcome.

Thanks!

 -Rachel Received on Fri May 22 2009 - 09:48:37 CDT

Original text of this message