Re: RMAN DUPLICATE failed at recovery time.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 13:00:07 -0700 (PDT)

On May 19, 8:36 am, perplej..._at_yahoo.es wrote:
> Hi Anthony, Thanks for your comment.
> The error RMAN-06561 is confusing to me. For this error, the doc says:
>
> Cause
> The recovery failed because it requires more disk space. One of the
> following could have caused this error: 1) The MAXSIZE option is used
> but is not large enough to restore files. 2) Files should be restored
> to recovery area, but available disk space is not large enough to
> restore files.
>
> Action
> One of the following: 1) Increase the MAXSIZE parameter and retry the
> command. 2) Free up disk space in the recovery area.
>
> In my case, none of both actions apply. I use default MAXSIZE
> parameter and the duplicated host recovery area has enough space.

From the backup and recovery reference manual:

"DELETE ARCHIVELOG [MAXSIZE integer [K|M|G]] Deletes archived logs restored from backups or copies that are no longer needed. RMAN does not delete archived logs that were already on disk before the RESTORE command started.

If you do not specify MAXSIZE, then RMAN deletes restored archived logs as they are applied. If you specify MAXSIZE, then RMAN will not use more than integer amount of disk space for restored archived logs. If recovery requires the restore of a log larger than the MAXSIZE value, then RMAN reports an error indicating that you should increase the MAXSIZE value. If MAXSIZE is smaller than the backup set containing the logs, then RMAN must read the backup set more than once to extract the logs. In this situation, RMAN issues a warning that MAXSIZE should be increased.

Note: If archived redo logs are restored to the flash recovery area then the DELETE ARCHIVELOG option is enabled by default."

> What I don't understand is why Oracle is apparently doing recovery
> using backup set key order instead of log sequence number order.

I don't understand it either, but I'll take a wild guess. You haven't specified maxsize, so rman deletes the logs as they are applied. Unfortunately, it is doing this key order thingie, and so needs to recover more after it has deleted them, which perhaps is what the warning about read 3 times is about. The SCN's wind up not matching between some other file and the system file, so it complains about the system file needing more recovery with ora-1110, even though it may "really" be the other file. Since you are getting everything, have you tried it without the set until?

So, perhaps you need to try specifying maxsize in your run command. Perhaps Anthony's way worked because he specified the arcs manually, so they didn't get deleted.

I'm wondering if this is a bug, or maybe an unclear documentation bug (unclear about the set key order, at least).

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Who pays for the database?