Re: SVR4 Error: 28: No space left on device

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:14:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 15 May 2009 14:57:25 -0700, Richard wrote:

> am running:
> Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release - 64bit Production
> If db is in archive log mode can I remove logs if they are backed up and
> under certain sequence number ?

Yes. I don't know your backup configuration but, generally speaking, one either deletes the archives as they get backed up by using "delete input" clause or, my preferred method, delete archives backed up to tape at least twice, in a separate job. You should get Rob Freeman's book about RMAN and read it. Also, there is an excellent book about RMAN recipes for Oracle 11 which I would wholehearedly recommend once you upgrade to 11g.