Re: SVR4 Error: 28: No space left on device

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 16:47:41 -0700 (PDT)

On May 15, 5:57 pm, Richard <RSL..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for suggestions so far, please keep them coming.
>
> I am running:
> Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0 - 64bit Production
>
> If db is in archive log mode can I remove logs if they are backed up
> and under certain sequence number ?
> Newbie at this ^^^ so please provide details if appropriate -
> thankyou.
>
> so i cleaned the *.aud files, and .trc files - keep last few, and can
> i remove these files safely ?
> /u01/admin/cnsdb03/cdump
> bash-2.05$ ll
> total 6
> drwxr-x---   2 oracle   oinstall     512 Jul 26  2006 core_5607/
> drwxr-x---   2 oracle   oinstall     512 Jul 26  2006 core_5615/
> drwxr-x---   2 oracle   oinstall     512 Sep 21  2006 core_8329/
>
> Finally where are the listener logs ?

You usually don't need core dumps unless you have a problem you need to report into oracle support.

Do you have any kind of unix system administrator? Do you have an oracle support contract? Do you have any oracle dba's? If so then get some help asap.

If you "really do not need" old archive logs yes you can delete them. If you "have to" recover the database from some backup prior to the archive logs you think you do not need ... and you cannot get them back from somewhere ... you are toast.

Any real newbie that is handling any important system to the business that is asking questions like this is over their head. If you have anything important to the business ... please ... get management to bring in some support on some kind of contract or whatever ... until you know what you are doing.

The learning curve for supporting an oracle database in a production environment is pretty steep for better or worse. Received on Fri May 15 2009 - 18:47:41 CDT

Original text of this message