Re: ODBC from Windows to Oracle 7 on UNIX

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:16:13 -0700 (PDT)

On May 15, 1:09 pm, Jonathan Kim <jonat..._at_apalogistics.com> wrote:
> On May 15, 1:13 pm, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
>

> > On May 15, 12:44 pm, Jonathan Kim <jonat..._at_apalogistics.com> wrote:
>
> > snip
>
> > > Hi,
> > > I am very new with Oracle.
> > > This company has Oracle 7 on UNIX and I want to establish ODBC from
> > > Windows.
> > > The vendor who set up this system made themselves pretty clear that
> > > they don't want to help us set up ODBC.
>
> > > So, I need your help.
>
> > > One scenario I found was installing Oracle 8i client on Windows and
> > > connecting it to Oracle 7 on UNIX. Then set up ODBC to Oracle via the
> > > client.
> > > However, I am having trouble to connecting the client to the Oracle
> > > server on UNIX.
> > > Below is what I have in tnsnames.ora
>
> > > CMS7 =
> > >   (DESCRIPTION =
> > >     (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > >       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxxxxxxx.com)(PORT =
> > > 1521))
> > >     )
> > >     (CONNECT_DATA =
> > >       (SID = xxxx7)
> > >     )
> > >   )
>
> > > “xxxxxxxxxxx.com” is hostname of UNIX machine and xxx7 is SID of our
> > > production db on UNIX.
> > > I made sure on internal DNS that “xxxxxxxxxxxx-intl.com” points to the UNIX
> > > machine.
>
> > > Still, “test service” fails to connect to the server as below.

> > > It still happens with legitimate login id and password.
>
> > > Thank you for your help in advance.
>
> > > Jonathan Kim
>
> > For starters you probably do not want to publish things in this
> > newsgroup like the real server name, real oracle sid, etc.  This just
> > is not a good idea at all and to point potentially trouble makers
> > attention at a very old oracle 7 database ... not a great idea.
>
> > Seriously your vendor is probably very correct and I would want to
> > make sure real you have managements approval and have made management
> > aware of the many risks in odbc type connections.
>
> > Moving on ... if you are getting a invalid username/password message
> > you are ( attempting to ) connect to something that sure smells like
> > oracle.
>
> > What error message do you get with your "legitimate" login attempt?
> > Does your legitimate login have create session ability outside of
> > logging in via some 3rd party application?
>
> > Can you connect via sqlplus command line from your machine with
> > whatever login you are attempting?- Hide quoted text -

> I was going to delete my posting taking your advice of security.
> However, I noticed every reply has "quoted text" already which kills
> the purpose. Well, thank you for your advise anyway. I will be more
> considerate next time.
>
> This system is very old and neither the vendor and my company have
> cared so much of upgrading it.
> I have management approval for it.
> [...]

Report the actual version of Oracle you're using (for both the database and the client), as Oracle 7 went through a myriad of changes between the initial 7.0.x release and the final 7.3.4 (?) incarnation, and some of those earlier releases may not be fully compatible with the 8i client. Likewise the '8i' releases, as 8.1.5 was buggy, with 8.1.6 and, finally, 8.1.7.4 being fairly stable offerings.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri May 15 2009 - 13:16:13 CDT

Original text of this message