Re: ODBC from Windows to Oracle 7 on UNIX

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:11:59 -0700 (PDT)

On May 15, 11:44 am, Jonathan Kim <jonat..._at_apalogistics.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am very new with Oracle.
> This company has Oracle 7 on UNIX and I want to establish ODBC from
> Windows.
> The vendor who set up this system made themselves pretty clear that
> they don't want to help us set up ODBC.
>
> So, I need your help.
>
> One scenario I found was installing Oracle 8i client on Windows and
> connecting it to Oracle 7 on UNIX. Then set up ODBC to Oracle via the
> client.
> However, I am having trouble to connecting the client to the Oracle
> server on UNIX.
> Below is what I have in tnsnames.ora
>
> CMS7 =
>   (DESCRIPTION =
>     (ADDRESS_LIST =
>       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = apa.apa-intl.com)(PORT =
> 1521))
>     )
>     (CONNECT_DATA =
>       (SID = cms7)
>     )
>   )
>
> “apa.apa-intl.com” is hostname of UNIX machine and cms7 is SID of our
> production db on UNIX.
> I made sure on internal DNS that “apa.apa-intl.com” points to the UNIX
> machine.
>
> Still, “test service” fails to connect to the server as below.
>
> >Initializing first test to use userid: scott, password: tiger
> >Attempting to connect using userid:  scott
> >The test did not succeed.
> >ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
>
> >There may be an error in the fields entered,
> >or the server may not be ready for a connection.
>
> It still happens with legitimate login id and password.
>
> Thank you for your help in advance.
>
> Jonathan Kim

Likely you have a typo in your username and/or password strings. The 'invalid username/password' error indicates a successful trek to the database on the UNIX server so your tnsnames.ora entry appears to be correct. Oracle 7 is, well, an antique, and the 8i client is also a relic. Why is this applicaton using Oracle 7? Did the vendor provide any reasoning for this?

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri May 15 2009 - 12:11:59 CDT

Original text of this message