Re: Partitioning Question

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:14:55 +0200

Dereck L. Dietz schrieb:
> Oracle 10.2.0.3
>
> We have a number a tables partitioned by year. Each ends up with:
>
> PARTITION_2009 VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE('01-JAN-2010','DD-MON-YYYY') )
> PARTITION_2010 VALUES LESS THAN (MAXVALUE)
>
> I'm not too familiar with modifying partitions and after doing some testing
> and looking but not finding what I'm looking for elsewhere came here.
>
> How would I change the partitioning so that the PARTITION_2010 will have
> dates less than 01-JAN-2011 and have a specific partition for the overflow?
>
> I tried renaming the PARTITION_2010 to PARTITION_OVERFLOW and then adding a
> new partition for 2010 but received an error that the range had to be
> greater than the last partition.
>
> I can't delete the PARTITION_2010 with MAXVALUE because it contains some
> rows.
>
> Thanks.

There is an excellent documentation about maintenance partitioned tables http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/partiti.htm#sthref2869

Basically, you have to split your partition with maxvalue, smth. like ALTER TABLE YOUR_TABLE SPLIT PARTITION PARTITION_2010 AT (DATE '2011-01-01') INTO (PARTITION PARTITION_2010, PARTITION PARTITION_OVERFLOW); Best regards

Maxim

--
Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?

Aksel Peter Jørgensen