Re: just a question (virtual machines)

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:47:28 +1000

gs wrote,on my timestamp of 13/05/2009 7:33 AM:

> If you were told you were going to all vm's for database servers, would
> you be comfortable with VMware or would you fight tooth & nail to go
> with Oracle's?

Oracle's. VMWare is not supported by Oracle. Period.

We had a release 7 WinNT db running under VMWare and it was the pits, with performance all over the place, unpredictable, erratic.

That db is now with 10g in AIX and I don't even bother about it other than checking logs and space: it runs perfectly and without a snag anywhere. Very small db by today's standards, only 12GBs. I merged it with a few others into a single Oracle instance. Total size is now around 90GB. No problem whatsoever. Would hate to still be running this in VM... Received on Wed May 13 2009 - 05:47:28 CDT

Original text of this message