Re: just a question (virtual machines)

From: Viktor Zacek <usenet2009_at_zacek.de>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:20:13 +0200

Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid> wrote:

> I would point the decision makers to Metalink Note 249212.1,
> which contains the sentences:
>
> Oracle has not certified any of its products on VMWare
>
> and
>
> Oracle will only provide support for issues that either
> are known to occur on the native OS, or can be demonstrated
> not to be as a result of running on VMware.
>
> Which is kind of a bummer if your production database is down,
> and you don't know how to reproduce the error in a test system.
>
> I'd guess that running Oracle on VMware might work OK, but
> some of the money you invest in Oracle Support will be down
> the drain.

Full agreement from me.

In practice I have found no problems running a productional database within a virtual machine with VMware.

But, and this is important: certification and support are non-existant to restricted, that is imo the one and only point to truly consider.

You should hammer this to your bosses mind... if they decide to go vmware, they chose a good virtualization... till you hit a problem and need support.

Best regards,
Viktor Received on Wed May 13 2009 - 05:20:13 CDT

Original text of this message