Re: just a question (virtual machines)

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:52:36 +0200

gs wrote:
> My workplace is seriously considering going to virtual machines for most of the servers, including database servers. We are a
> windows shop and have several VMware servers running test env's now. I am not in favour of running production db's on vm's, but I
> don't have the final say here.

[...]
> If you were told you were going to all vm's for database servers, would you be comfortable with VMware or would you fight tooth &
> nail to go with Oracle's?

I would point the decision makers to Metalink Note 249212.1, which contains the sentences:

   Oracle has not certified any of its products on VMWare

and

   Oracle will only provide support for issues that either    are known to occur on the native OS, or can be demonstrated    not to be as a result of running on VMware.

Which is kind of a bummer if your production database is down, and you don't know how to reproduce the error in a test system.

I'd guess that running Oracle on VMware might work OK, but some of the money you invest in Oracle Support will be down the drain.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Wed May 13 2009 - 02:52:36 CDT

Original text of this message