Re: just a question (virtual machines)

From: CarlosAL <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 00:24:41 -0700 (PDT)

On 13 mayo, 05:38, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> gs wrote:
> > My workplace is seriously considering going to virtual machines for most
> > of the servers, including database servers. We are a windows shop and
> > have several VMware servers running test env's now. I am not in favour
> > of running production db's on vm's, but I don't have the final say here.
>
> > Having said that, I have had many test db's on vms for over two years
> > now and they have been trouble free.. I'm recommending that we take a
> > good look at Oracle's VM if we go this route, but I know I'll hit
> > resistance here too.
>
> > I haven't had a chance to download and play with Oracles vm yet, so I
> > don't know a lot about it.
>
> > If you were told you were going to all vm's for database servers, would
> > you be comfortable with VMware or would you fight tooth & nail to go
> > with Oracle's?
>
> It really depends on the workload you are going to be asking the
> database server to accomplish.   If you are expecting thousands of txn/s
> then VM may not have enough horsepower. (I worked in an environment
> where a 2-node Sun6900 (48CPU/96cores with 192GB/mem) cluster was barely
> enough for that particular application). In that case no VM solution
> would work for that.  This is where doing a full transactional analysis
> for all applications and databases on these servers would be well worth
> the effort.
>
> As others have stated, I would not trust the underlying OS to be Windows
> either.

Hi all:

I worked for a telecom company which worked a lot with Virtual Servers running Oracle databases. It's true that there were Sun machines running VMware ESX servers and the like (not VWware on top of windows). In general, the responses and performances were OK. Nontheless, the very big databases (DW) ran on real UNIX machines.

HTH. Cheers.

Carlos. Received on Wed May 13 2009 - 02:24:41 CDT

Original text of this message