Re: 10g Database not starting after applying patch

From: oracle, old sherwoodian <rana_gman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:39:40 -0700 (PDT)

On May 12, 11:49 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On May 12, 10:28 am, "oracle, old sherwoodian" <rana_g..._at_hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I initially installed 10.2.0.1.0 version of the database and then
> > applied the 10.2.0.3.0 patch successfully.
> > Now i cannot get the database started. I get this error:
> > ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in
> > connect descriptor (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)
>
> > I've not changed anything. If fact, i made a copy of the listner.ora
> > and tnsname.ora file and they both are identical.
> > Please help.
>
> > Girish.
>
> Are you trying to start this database remotely?
>
> Explain EXACTLY what you are doing, and post the steps you're
> executing to try to start your database.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Before applying the patch, i closed all of the services involved w/ the instance via the Service Manager.
After applying the patch, i did the following.

1. opened the Service Manager.
2. started the oracle lisnter.
3. started the oracle Serivce
4. started the DB Console
5. Opened the DB Control (from the start menu - > all programs ->
oralce )
6. Logged in with my host credentials and sys login (from the "Startup/ Shutdown:Specify Host and Target Database Credentials" page)

    After this, it brings me to this page "Startup/Shutdown" , to which i click the OK button.

    After this, it brings me to this page "Database Instance: orcl", and on this page is where i get this error:

    Agent Connection to Instance
    Status Failed
    Details ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)

When i clik on the "View Details" link, it shows this: SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Tue May 12 12:38:23 2009

Copyright (c) 1982, 2006, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

SQL> SQL> Connected to an idle instance. SQL> ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 612368384 bytes

Fixed Size		    1292036 bytes
Variable Size		  218106108 bytes
Database Buffers	  385875968 bytes
Redo Buffers		    7094272 bytes

Database mounted.
ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced

Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options Received on Tue May 12 2009 - 11:39:40 CDT

Original text of this message