Regarding Database Design

From: DeB <>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 22:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Faculties,

   Please accept my apologies if this query is out of context of the discussions in this forum.

   I've with me a proposed database design which is not normalized fully. There are some other tables that we plan to denormalize. The targeted database platform is Oracle Database 10g Release 2.

  For ex:- We have a table called user_groups which links the users and the groups table. But now we are thinking to eliminate this table and have a group_ids column storing comma separated values of groups ids from the groups table instead.

   The records will look like -

   group_id	               group_name
	1	Admin
	2	Operator
	3	Power User

   user_id	              user_name	               group_ids
	1	User1		1,3
	2	User2		2,3

   The targeted database will be a typical OLTP system. Please suggest if this approach to database design has any fundamental flaws.

Thanks in advance
DeB Received on Mon May 11 2009 - 00:37:45 CDT

Original text of this message