Re: remote access

From: Chris P. Bacon <cpb_at_snugglebutt.INVALID>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 23:33:48 +0000 (UTC)

On 2009-05-10, Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>

> is the listener configured on localhost 127.0.0.1 or the IP address of
> server? If you are going to be connecting remotely, I would recommend
> setting STATIC IP addresses (10.?.?.? or 192.168.?.?) and configuring
> the listener appropriately.

I'll do some research and figure out how to do that.

> The other question would be what is your definition of "remotely"?
> 1) local network
> 2) internet->your local network?

Local only.

> If you don't know what you are doing, you should get in touch with a
> security expert to assist you in properly configuring your network to
> handle it.

NAT firewall + windows firewall. Probably should move to a non-standard port so that the usual port sniffers will fail. I think I'm ok with the security aspect of what I'm doing, I'm only looking to have sql access from the local area network. It would be nice if I could do the EM stuff via the internet, but that's not a big deal right now.

* CPB - Support the UIP http://improve-usenet.org
* RLU 451587