Problems starting new TNS Listener

From: Francesco Pighi <>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 01:11:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,
I've a strange problem occurring on Windows after the DBUA.

I've an automated application (written with c#) which, among other things, silently launches the Oracle DBUA tool (for upgrading an Oracle XE to an Oracle SE), and then create a new listener for the newly created instance with the following command:

%ORACLE_DIR%\bin\netca.bat /silent /responsefile C:\scripts\netca.rsp (if you need the complete rsp script I can post it) After that I've a Windows service named
OracleMX_ORAH10203TNSListenerSE, which points to C:\oracle\product

Everything seems to be OK and all the system variables are set correctly:
ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1 ORACLE_SID = SE Nonetheless the listener doesn't automatically starts up, and when I launch the following command:
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin\lsnrctl start SE

it gives me this output:

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version - Production on 07- MAG-2009 09:53:55 Copyright (c) 1991, 2006, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Avvio di tnslsnr: attendere...

TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version - Production Il file dei parametri di sistema C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product

Messaggi di log registrati in C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product

TNS-01151: Manca il nome del listener, SE, in LISTENER.ORA

Avvio listener non riuscito. Vedere i messaggi di errore sopra riportati...

Sorry for the messages in Italian, but I think that the important things to notice is the fact that it tries to start the wrong (old) XE listener from the wrong path ("C:\oraclexe"), instead of the newly created SE one ("C:\oracle\").

Even more strange: if I reboot Windows the SE listener starts correctly.
Even more strange: with Windows Vista everything works well, the problem is only on WinXP.

I'm struggling to find a way (a parameter to pass to lsnrctl for example) for starting the listener specifying where to read the listener.ora from.

I have these two conditions: 1) I cannot reboot the machine. 2) the creation of the new listener must remain silent (with the rsp file)

Thank you in advance! Received on Thu May 07 2009 - 03:11:03 CDT

Original text of this message