Re: webmail user mailbox schema design?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 15:15:54 -0300

Tegiri Nenashi wrote:

> On May 1, 9:37 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
>

>>Partitioning the MESSAGES table on user_id could provide speed and
>>manageability by segregating each users messages to a single
>>partition; partition pruning would eliminate visits to unrelated
>>partitions effectively reducing the data set to a fraction of the
>>total number of messages stored.

> I struggle to understand a single advantage of partitioning. Well, you
> listed one advantage -- easy deletion. However, since when deletion
> became a determining factor in database design?

What's even more striking and even harder to understand is someone suggesting highly detailed, very explicit physical implementation details on the basis of the sketchiest of problem statements.

I am sure you would agree: Anyone doing so has no idea what they are talking about. Received on Fri May 01 2009 - 13:15:54 CDT

Original text of this message