Update with wait for lock

From: DBA100 <dba100_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 May 2009 11:06:32 -0700

Is it possible to instruct oracle that, while updating, wait for a max period of 10 seconds if the row is locked by another session. For e.g in DB2 I would do this

SET LOCK MODE TO WAIT 10
UPDATE .... In this case, if Db2 finds that the row being updated has a lock by another session then it will keep trying to acquire the lock for a max period of 10 seconds.

I could not find anything similar in Oracle. The closest I see is using SELECT FOR UPDATE which is not the same as UPDATE. Received on Fri May 01 2009 - 13:06:32 CDT

Original text of this message