Re: sqlplus v. OCI v. OCCI connect

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:10:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 30, 7:14 pm, Shane <gshanemil..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> this command connects to oracle:
>
> $ sqlplus smiller/mill99_at_oradev
>
> A OTL based program which uses smiller/mill99_at_oradev as a connection
> string connects to Oracle.
> A working OCI program here which was gutted to use user=smiller,
> password=mill99, db=oradev connects to Oracle.
>
> But an OCCI program with this code:
>
>      52   Environment* const env = Environment::createEnvironment(
>      53     Environment::DEFAULT);
>      54
>      55   // Open a connection to the database, then close it.
>      56   //
>      58   try
>      59   {
>      60     Connection* const con = env->createConnection(user, pass,
> osid);
>
> throws on line 60 giving:
>
> Can't connect: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
>
> What in the heck is the deal with OCCI? My OTL code worked the first
> time, no problem. I guess OTL is based on OCI, which works How is
> connecting to the db with OCCI so different from OCI, OTL, sqlplus?
> How can I fix this error?
>
> tnsping oradev gives:
>
>  $ tnsping oradev
>
> TNS Ping Utility for Solaris: Version 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on 30-
> APR-2009 19:11:28
>
> Copyright (c) 1997, 2006, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> Used parameter files:
>
> Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
> Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = sundev16)(PORT = 28538))) (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = oradev.bloomberg.com)))
> OK (10 msec)

Well when oracle gives you an invalid username/password message ... my experience is that the database has been given an invalid username/ password.

You could try a low level trace that captures the username and password being transmitted over to the database. Received on Fri May 01 2009 - 10:10:24 CDT

Original text of this message