Re: Log files tuning

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 06:25:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 30, 9:06 am, BeginnerDBA <hpcasal..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> By using Oracle Enterprise Manager I can tune my database..I have been
> using it on Windows, however not yet on Unix, I am looking for some
> advise....do you think recommendable installing EM on Unix or WISE
> product, I was hearing about it, but honestly I don't know how much
> usefull would be.
>
> One more thing....Would you mind giving me some guide how can I tune
> it in the meanwhile???...it is growing so fast.
>
> Thank you.

You do not need EM to tune your database nor do you have to have a license for the EM Performance Pack so that you can use the AWR. You can tune the database using SQLPlus, statspack, and the information available to you in the Oracle Performance and Tuning manual, the Oracle version# Reference manual, and the DBA Administration manual.

You can install and configure EM to access your UNIX server based Oracle databases if you wish. EM is a nice product but it is only a tool and sometimes the designers lowest common denominator approach does not result in the best advice being issued from some of the EM features. Unless the pricing has changed on the Performance packs it is also expensive.

The fact that you database is rapidly growing may be a space management issue, and will likely be an applicaiton SQL tunign issue, but is not in itself a database tuning issue. There are several rdbms data dictionary views that exist to help manage space including: dba_segments, dba_data_files, dba_free_space, dba_extents, and dba_temp_files.

The best advice anyone can give you is to read the Oracle manuals: Concepts, DBA Admin, Backup and Recovery, first few chapters of SQL manual, Performance and Tuning, and so on until you have read all the manuals that cover the features you use.

There is no substitute for knowledge.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Apr 30 2009 - 08:25:01 CDT

Original text of this message