Re: Increasing Size of SGA_MAX in Oracle 10G

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:46:10 -0500

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> Na Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:27:59 -0500, Michael Austin napisao:
>
>> Sounds like you were not where you thought you were...  make sure that
>> you have the correct SID/OHOME defined - in a RAC environment you should
>> have separate OHOME for ASM and RDBMS.

> Why? I don't like the procreation of different oracle homes for ASM, CRS,
> Apex, database and Gridlock agent. CRS must be on the different home but
> ASM and RDBMS can share one. No issues there.

This is a HUGE issue in very large environments. For one reason, it is Oracle Best practices for RAC environments. The bigger reason is the ability to upgrade CRS and/or ASM before **having** to upgrade the RDBMS.

In my last position we had standard:

/oracle/env{n}/software/rdbms/10.2.0.x/
/oracle/env{n}/software/asm/10.2.0/
/oracle/env{n}/software/crs/10.2.0/

CRS and ASM only went down to the 2nd dot because you can only have 1 in the enviroment at a time.

In a RAC environment, there was a common inventory. In non-RAC environments, each had it's own distinct inventory. This facilitated the "software install" group to be able to drop the binaries and then have the DBA/business do the upgrade at their convenience. In an environment with several thousand database servers and almost 75% more database instances, this becomes more important as the software install group would not necessarily need to be online during the actual upgrades. (We did get paged if the primary DBA screwed something up during the install, but that was rare)

With 11g, the ability to do real rolling upgrades, you may find this a lot more appealing :) Received on Wed Apr 29 2009 - 08:46:10 CDT

Original text of this message