Re: server managed backup on XE

From: joel garry <>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:05:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 27, 1:47 pm, wrote:
> On Apr 27, 4:32 pm, joel garry <> wrote:
> snip
> > > Well if you look here
> > > Oracle makes it pretty clear at least for 11g XE they claim that XE
> > > does not provide ( or at least is not supported ) rman ... using the
> > > main search server managed backup.
> > Google being my friend, Oracle does indeed use it:
> > (search for server-managed, the dash doesn't make a difference to
> > google, but does to oracle/browsers).
> > (Also in the 11g docs, but I've had less success posting links to it,
> > so screw it).
> > "Server-managed backup and recovery manages the backup process, such
> > as scheduling of backups, as well as the recovery process, such as
> > applying the correct backup file when recovery is needed."
> > It appears it's not saying it doesn't provide rman, just that you
> > can't use XE as a repository or scheduler or something.
> Good catch Joel:  If you look at the page from oracle I cited above
> ( aka you get
> the words ...
> Server Managed Backup and Recovery
> Simplify, automate, and improve backup and recovery performance with
> Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN).
> That's where I picked up that oracle was perhaps talking about all
> rman stuff.  But what you said also makes sense ... maybe they are
> saying with XE that you can't do it thru the OEM GUI?

I'm not equipped to evaluate this either, could very well be.

> However the words ... "such as applying the correct backup file when
> recovery is needed."  make me think of rman ( or sqlplus in cases )
> after a recover database or restore type of command is given.

Yeah, that was what made me think perhaps a repository issue. I just can't see not being able to crosscheck a controlfile, but... no time to play.

> > Could be, but I don't think that's the intent (and I'm often the first
> > to be paranoid about such things).  I think I've reconciled it above.
> It's all pretty academic to me since mostly EE here and pretty much XE
> is unsupported from the get go ( well I guess you can maybe upgrade
> from one XE version to another one every once in a while if you
> consider that supported ).

I don't!

-- is bogus.
Give a man a fish, you've fed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish,
wipe out entire breeding population in a few years.