Re: server managed backup on XE

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:47:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 27, 4:32 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

snip

> > Well if you look here http://www.oracle.com/database/product_editions.html
> > Oracle makes it pretty clear at least for 11g XE they claim that XE
> > does not provide ( or at least is not supported ) rman ... using the
> > main search atwww.oracle.comandthe words server managed backup.

> Google being my friend, Oracle does indeed use it:http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/intro.htm
> (search for server-managed, the dash doesn't make a difference to
> google, but does to oracle/browsers).
> (Also in the 11g docs, but I've had less success posting links to it,
> so screw it).
>
> "Server-managed backup and recovery manages the backup process, such
> as scheduling of backups, as well as the recovery process, such as
> applying the correct backup file when recovery is needed."
>
> It appears it's not saying it doesn't provide rman, just that you
> can't use XE as a repository or scheduler or something.

Good catch Joel: If you look at the page from oracle I cited above ( aka http://www.oracle.com/database/product_editions.html ) you get the words ...

Server Managed Backup and Recovery
Simplify, automate, and improve backup and recovery performance with Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN).

That's where I picked up that oracle was perhaps talking about all rman stuff. But what you said also makes sense ... maybe they are saying with XE that you can't do it thru the OEM GUI?

However the words ... "such as applying the correct backup file when recovery is needed." make me think of rman ( or sqlplus in cases ) after a recover database or restore type of command is given.

> Could be, but I don't think that's the intent (and I'm often the first
> to be paranoid about such things).  I think I've reconciled it above.

It's all pretty academic to me since mostly EE here and pretty much XE is unsupported from the get go ( well I guess you can maybe upgrade from one XE version to another one every once in a while if you consider that supported ). Received on Mon Apr 27 2009 - 15:47:21 CDT

Original text of this message