Re: server managed backup on XE

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:04:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 26, 9:53 am, rnbjr..._at_gmail.com wrote:

snip

> > > Hello, I am just trying to learn the limitation as stated in the
> > > document.please read that pdf. Nothing more and nothing less. Oracle
> > > should be able to clarify what they documented in a straight forward
> > > fashion. Am I asking for too much?
>
> > I read that pdf ... I am not confused about the capabilities of XE as
> > noted in that document.
>
> > What exactly are you confused about?
>
> simple, what is server based backup!

Well if you look here http://www.oracle.com/database/product_editions.html Oracle makes it pretty clear at least for 11g XE they claim that XE does not provide ( or at least is not supported ) rman ... using the main search at www.oracle.com and the words server managed backup.

That's not terminology that people in the dba community use for rman.

The 10g pdf that you point to do say that XE provides/supports incremental backup and recovery ( aka rman ).

So at this point we are left with two different interpretations from oracle about XE and rman.

My guess is that 11g XE will do an rman backup and recovery. My guess is that oracle wants people to be nervous about whether that is supported or not and that they want to sell standard licenses to anyone wanting to backup an xe database.

My guess is that you will be hard pressed to get much more from oracle about the status of XE and if they support rman for it or not. Then again ... they don't really support XE at all do they ... at least formally. I have heard rumours that you can patch XE with regular patchsets.

So in other words ... this whole area is probably clear as mud ... as oracle probably intends it to be. Received on Sun Apr 26 2009 - 19:04:02 CDT

Original text of this message