Re: Database Size Limit with Oracle 10g Standard Edition

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:58:43 +0200

Michael Austin schreef:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:

>>> Sockets.
>>>
>>> In the latest Licensing Policies, Oracle states: "Standard Edition
>>> requires a minimum of 5 Named User Plus licenses or the total number of
>>> actual users, whichever is greater. Oracle Database Standard Edition can
>>> only be licensed on servers that have a maximum capacity of 4 sockets. A
>>> blade server that meets this criteria is also eligible for licensing
>>> this program. Effective with the release of 10g, the Oracle Database
>>> Standard Edition product includes the Real Applications Clusters
>>> database option."
>>>
>>> Shakespeare
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> This is apparently referencing number of CPU sockets available (they can
> be dual or quad core, but no more than 4 CPUS - which means up to 4
> quad-core processors which means 16 cores.  not shabby for a "PC".

That seems to be correct. But until March 15 2009, Oracle put this in their license agreements:
"When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One or Standard Edition in the product name, a processor is counted equivalent to an occupied socket; however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket."

The only problem here is: when is a module a multi-chip module? Oracle Sales guys say a module is the same as a core... but in that case, the whole socket condition is in fact a multi-core condition, which basically says:
1) If you have 1 single core (or max quad core) cpu and 3 empty sockets,   you can use Standard Edition
2) If you have 1 single core (or max quad core) cpu and 4 or more empty sockets, you can't.

So (cores times core-factor) + (#empty sockets) must be at max. 4

SE will work however on more sockets/cores, but you violate the license terms and will be forced to buy EE after Oracle audited your systems. And Oracle is very active at the moment auditing systems (but I guess this will stop by may 20, when the Fiscal Year closes)

I will check if this condition is still there in the latest License Agreements, but I have not seen one yet.

Shakespeare Received on Sat Apr 25 2009 - 03:58:43 CDT

Original text of this message