Re: Speculations on oracle buying sun

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:50:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 22, 8:39 am, Shakespeare <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

> So according to Mr. Charles Phillips, it's all about Java and Sun Solaris!
> Especially, this quoute surprises me:
>
> "The Sun Solaris operating system is the leading platform for the Oracle
> database".
>
> Shakespeare

That initially hit me too, until I realized there's prolly a whole lotta old superdomes and whatever the various volume sellers were that are relatively stable, starting to get nibbled off by the competition after feeling left behind and experimenting with and rejecting linux.

Of couse, "leading" can be defined in many ways. Just one Amazon plus a few governments can skew all the stats. Oracle itself may have a lot of hardware left in use from the glory days of Sun as primary development platform (pure speculation, of course, though I am very curious).

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/04/15/bc-surrey-laptop-crash-kills-woman.html