Re: Speculations on oracle buying sun

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:39:11 +0200

hpuxrac schreef:
> Certainly the java software may have been part of the appeal.
>
> How about the operating system ... will that mean anything at all?
>
> Perhaps there is actually a chance that oracle will now ship 10.2.0.4
> patchset and 10.2.0.5 for Solaris x86 64 ... maybe. That was supposed
> to be here "any month" for a very very long time.
>
> My guess is that the other database thing ( is that MySQL ? ) may have
> been a factor if Sun is still controlling that software ... but isn't
> someone taking a fork of MySQL in another direction already ( away
> from Sun ? )?
>
> Compared to some of the many many acquisitions that oracle has made
> over the last years this move has many possible angles it will be
> interesting to see if and what impact is made on the oracle on linux
> evangelism.

Well here is what the President of Oracle himself says about it...

<quote>
Oracle's ownership of two key Sun software assets, Java and Solaris, is expected to provide our customers with significant benefit. Java is one of the computer industry's best known brands and most widely deployed technologies. Oracle Fusion Middleware is built on top of Sun's Java language and software. Oracle can now ensure continued innovation and investment in Java technology for the benefit of customers and the Java community.

The Sun Solaris operating system is the leading platform for the Oracle database. With the acquisition of Sun, Oracle can optimize the Oracle database for some of the unique, high-end features of Solaris. Oracle is as committed as ever to Linux and other open platforms, and will continue to support and enhance our strong industry partnerships. <unquote>

So according to Mr. Charles Phillips, it's all about Java and Sun Solaris! Especially, this quoute surprises me:

"The Sun Solaris operating system is the leading platform for the Oracle database".

Shakespeare Received on Wed Apr 22 2009 - 10:39:11 CDT

Original text of this message