Re: Speculations on oracle buying sun

From: joel garry <>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:19:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 20, 6:38†pm, Geoff Muldoon <> wrote:
> hpuxrac says...
> The diversification into hardware (an old stable of Sun) is a significant
> shift for Oracle who have never before been in the hardware market. †Maybe
> they will divest and sell off this section? †Or will they do a complete
> stack strategy?

Staple! Old staple! :-)

Maybe Oracle hasn't been in the hardware market, but Larry has:

> The acquisition of Solaris gives Oracle their own proprietory O/S. †What
> will happen to Oracle's "Unbreakable Linux"? †Will it be dropped in favour
> of Solaris becoming the free-to-install, pay-for-support preferred Oracle
> platform? †Might they even do a "home" desktop version for Ellison to use
> in his private war with Gates.

That one is hard to predict, so much is based on geek-fashion. I think there is room for both for a long time. You don't hear much about it, but even BSD is still around a lot.

> OpenOffice as part of the deal is not to be sneezed at. †Look for the
> desktop integration opportunities.

If they just had a way to make it put out exactly what the ms does. The little differences are enough to freak the wife and kids when they are under project time pressures.

> MySQL has two arms, the community GPL version (will Oracle continue to
> support this or will it fork, rumour is that many key developers had
> already left Sun?) and the pay-for-commercial-use enterprise version. †
> Will this merge with OracleXE as "Oracle Lite" in an attack on the bottom
> end MSSQL/Access market?

No rumor:

The bottom market has a long, long life left in it. I avoid it as much as possible, though I think XE as done is a great idea (except it needs security patches!).

I think Larry doesn't give a crap about the operating system. It's apps/business solutions that sell big.

-- is bogus.  "ďThe interesting thing about cloud computing is
that weíve redefined cloud computing to include everything that we
already do. I canít think of anything that isnít cloud computing with
all of these announcements. The computer industry is the only industry
that is more fashion-driven than womenís fashion. Maybe Iím an idiot,
but I have no idea what anyone is talking about. What is it? Itís
complete gibberish. Itís insane. When is this idiocy going to stop? "
- Larry Ellison