Re: Speculations on oracle buying sun

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:19:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 20, 6:38 pm, Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muld..._at_trap.gmail.com> wrote:
> hpuxrac says...
>

> The diversification into hardware (an old stable of Sun) is a significant
> shift for Oracle who have never before been in the hardware market.  Maybe
> they will divest and sell off this section?  Or will they do a complete
> stack strategy?

Staple! Old staple! :-)

Maybe Oracle hasn't been in the hardware market, but Larry has: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCUBE http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=larry+ellison+network+computer

> The acquisition of Solaris gives Oracle their own proprietory O/S.  What
> will happen to Oracle's "Unbreakable Linux"?  Will it be dropped in favour
> of Solaris becoming the free-to-install, pay-for-support preferred Oracle
> platform?  Might they even do a "home" desktop version for Ellison to use
> in his private war with Gates.

That one is hard to predict, so much is based on geek-fashion. I think there is room for both for a long time. You don't hear much about it, but even BSD is still around a lot.

> OpenOffice as part of the deal is not to be sneezed at.  Look for the
> desktop integration opportunities.

If they just had a way to make it put out exactly what the ms does. The little differences are enough to freak the wife and kids when they are under project time pressures.

> MySQL has two arms, the community GPL version (will Oracle continue to
> support this or will it fork, rumour is that many key developers had
> already left Sun?) and the pay-for-commercial-use enterprise version.
> Will this merge with OracleXE as "Oracle Lite" in an attack on the bottom
> end MSSQL/Access market?

No rumor: http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/02/unsatisfied-with-direction-mysql-creator-leaves-sun.ars

The bottom market has a long, long life left in it. I avoid it as much as possible, though I think XE as done is a great idea (except it needs security patches!).

I think Larry doesn't give a crap about the operating system. It's apps/business solutions that sell big.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.  "“The interesting thing about cloud computing is
that we’ve redefined cloud computing to include everything that we