Re: server managed backup on XE

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:57:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 19, 6:15 am, rnbjr..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:11 am, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
>

> > On Apr 19, 1:06 am, rnbjr..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > snip

> > > I guess I should ask another way. What is server based backup?
>
> > Not familiar with that terminology ... is that from the document you
> > cited?
>
> > Perhaps you are referring to oracle secure backup?
>
> > What are you planning on doing with your XE database?  You can
> > certainly use rman to back it up and recover it.
>
> Not really after a particular thing, but trying to understand the
> feature

I'm also still not sure what you are referring to, but usually serverbased  backup means as opposed to tape-based backup, and not necessarily the same server that has the db.

I just tried using rman to attach to an XE database in another state from my main server, and it seemed to do that just fine.

Backup docs are available at tahiti.oracle.com, and there are a couple of good commercial backup books for the actual usage that have been mentioned in this group. In the docs, see the 2-day DBA book chapter about backup, and check out the Backup and Recovery Basics book to start.

Also notice if you run rman on your XE environment (as opposed to a backup database menu command), with some bogus command, (for example, type in rman asdf at a dos command window, if that is your environs) it gives you a help file which includes the syntax of connecting to a catalog. I haven't tried it, but I take it this means XE databases can attach to regular old rman catalogs, which would make sense for sites with centralized control of backups.

I'm running XE production boxes, but they're all fed in a restorable manner, so I haven't really had to bother with backup on them personally. Of course, I'm already comfortable with RMAN.

I just tried running the menu for backup on my sandbox XE on my PC, which I've set to noarchivelog because it is mostly ignored, and it nicely asked me if I was sure I wanted to backup in noarchvelog mode stating why that might not be what I want, then shutdown the db and started it up and started backing it up, all while printing the messages nice and readably slow in the cmd box. Learn something new every day.

I recall participating in the discussions about whether to have rman in the XE distribution. My feeling was, yes, if people are going to use this in production they need transaction based recovery, regardless of whether the competition does. And here we are.

Wow, the fan turned on in my PC for the first time in ages. I had forgotten how noisy it is. Guess that was a real workout.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.114725.45