Re: What is the best way to replicate few tables between 2 Oracle 10g severs ?

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:52:19 -0500

Veeru71 wrote:
> We need to replicate (1-way) a bunch of tables from Server-A to
> Server-B in close to real-time.
> Server-B is located in a foreign country.
>
> Apporx. # of tables to be replicated : 50 (size : 50 GB)
> Approx amount of data that gets replicated (changed data) per day :
> 100 MB
> Oarcle Versions : 10g, Solaris
>
> Constraints (due to some security reasons):
> - Server-B SHOULD NOT have any DB-Links to connect to Server-A
> - No UserId/Password of Server-A should be used anywhere in scripts/
> code/config files, etc on Server-B.
>

> What is the best way to achieve this ? Initially we thought of using
> Matreialized Views, but because of the above constraint, it may not
> be feasible.
>
> Do you think Oracle Streams would work ? Would it be an over-kill ?
> Any other options ?
>
> Thanks for your help.

If the requirement is "near-real-time", the question is how near to real-time does it need to be? seconds? minutes? hours?

Once the tables are duplicated, you need to worry about how much data per second, minute, or hour you will be transferring and whether or not your pipelines (network connections) are sufficient to handle the traffic.

You said "one-way" so, are there any data changes that occur on server-B that are not on server-A? Do you need access to server-B while server-A is up? (standby?)

No DB-LINKS = NO MV.

Streams may be your only option.

For more on the subject see:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/dataint/pdf/twp_streams_11gr1.pdf Received on Thu Apr 16 2009 - 09:52:19 CDT