Re: Oracle vs SQL Server

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:49:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 15, 12:29 pm, andy <ab..._at_aetinc.com> wrote:
> We are currently evaluating Honeywell's Optivision software.  This
> database options that we are looking at are Oracle and MS SQL Server.
>
> I looking for documentation or real world examples - why Oracle is
> better than SQL Server.  I just cannot see going with a large
> installation of a Microsoft product.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

I don't know anything about Optivision, but you might google optivision and people with experience with it and pay them for their opinions.

I agree with Sybrand in a general sense, but disagree that the probability is 100% that it will perform badly (as the stuff I work on performs well, and certainly better on Oracle than SS, even with the lowest common denominator "features"). In fact, some of the locking being in the app helps. For example, it allows keeping a "who's locking me out?" table for OLTP, as well as breaking long up. Everyone is always saying "make the transaction as long as it needs to be," but when you have an order entry person entering hundreds of lines on an order, which each explode into multiple tables, and some newfangled virtual server prone to crashing, you don't want all that to roll back, you want the person to just start up again and enter the rest of the order. You could argue endlessly about whether each line should be a separate transaction, and another one for the header, and what about keeping the total in the header, but in reality, you are looking to buy something that already works now and in the forseeable future.

In the end, it's "do the app features work in a timely manner for the usage." When you start getting into MRP types of calculations, all apps seem to throw proper relational design out the window anyways, since MBA's have written their feces^H^H^H^H theses without it.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/bushs_eyelid_accidentally