Re: Oracle vs SQL Server

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:14:43 +0200

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:29:03 -0700 (PDT), andy <abent_at_aetinc.com> wrote:

>We are currently evaluating Honeywell's Optivision software. This
>database options that we are looking at are Oracle and MS SQL Server.
>
>I looking for documentation or real world examples - why Oracle is
>better than SQL Server. I just cannot see going with a large
>installation of a Microsoft product.
>
>Thanks,
>Andy

The best feature comparison is at
http://www.psoug.org/reference/OLD/sqlserver.html

If Optivision was developed for SQLserver and has been 'ported' 1 on 1 to Oracle, it will almost 100 percent certain perform badly, as the architecture of both databases is fundamentally different. In that case you shouldn't consider using Oracle, or you must want to make the life of an Oracle DBA miserable.

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA