Re: WE8ISO8859P1 convert to AL32UTF8 unicode character set question

From: Laurenz Albe <>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:38:21 +0200

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> No need for that - a database stores whatever you throw at it.
> I can store "special" characters in a US7ASCII database.
> And retrieve them.
> Provided the tool set cat actually display your "special"
> characters...

You can choose to ignore and circumvent the character set awareness of a database system and have your application handle these issues. Oracle is pretty lax in that respect and will let you do what you want.

Three disadvantages:
- You might to reinvent the wheel.
- You can get into trouble if the requirements change and   the database will need to be accessed and used in new   ways (JDBC, database link to AL32UTF8 database, ...). - Oracle utilities may scream at you or behave in   surprising ways if the database does not contain what   they think it does.

Laurenz Albe Received on Wed Apr 15 2009 - 09:38:21 CDT

Original text of this message