Re: WE8ISO8859P1 convert to AL32UTF8 unicode character set question

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:38:21 +0200

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> No need for that - a database stores whatever you throw at it.
> I can store "special" characters in a US7ASCII database.
> And retrieve them.
>
> Provided the tool set cat actually display your "special"
> characters...

You can choose to ignore and circumvent the character set awareness of a database system and have your application handle these issues. Oracle is pretty lax in that respect and will let you do what you want.

Three disadvantages:
- You might to reinvent the wheel.
- You can get into trouble if the requirements change and   the database will need to be accessed and used in new   ways (JDBC, database link to AL32UTF8 database, ...). - Oracle utilities may scream at you or behave in   surprising ways if the database does not contain what   they think it does.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Wed Apr 15 2009 - 09:38:21 CDT

Original text of this message