Re: same application on multiple schemas

From: Alberto <alberto.roller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:09:33 -0700 (PDT)

i'm the original poster. i think that i explained the situation with too much hurry. here is a better explanation

As for the "comparison" with Sql Server, it was not intended to ask why Oracle does "not" support sql server behaviour :) I know oracle (I worked with it before using Sql Server) and I know that the concepts behind are slightly different from those in Sql Server. From you, I would just like to know if having a different schema for each application is ok or not (see below the description of the situation).

we have a web application. it uses a set of tables to store its data.

For every customer that will use our application, we will clone it. Customer A will have url customerA.ourcompany.com. The application will use schema "SchemaA"
Customer B will have url customerB.ourcompany.com. The application will use schema "SchemaB".

Every schema will be blind to any other (that is, it will not need and will not be able to access any other database). In the beginning, all customers will be on a small number of server
(maybe one, for example). If any of the customers will grow very much
(the application is one that can have very different sizes among
customers), it could happen that we will need to move it to another server. This why I asked if Oracle supports detach and attach. But to do this, every schema must use its separate datafiles and tablespaces. Or we can use exp and imp.

Anyway, after my post, I studied a bit Oracle RAC, and we feel that this is a technology that could fit very well our needs.

Just as an additional question, if using a schema for each application is NOT the correct solution... which is the correct one ? We do not want to use a single schema putting all customer's data in the same physical table, because every customer can have its own data and we would have to put everytime a "where customer = current customer".

thank you all for all your comments.

Alberto Received on Tue Apr 14 2009 - 14:09:33 CDT

Original text of this message