Re: How stable is Oracle 11i?

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 07:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 11, 8:18 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:

snip

> Given some of the comments here about OEL 5.x, I am not sure I would
> have dumped HPUX and jump to commodity boxes just yet... I am not so
> much worried about speed as I am stability in the platform. So far, I
> still see Linux as a "toy" OS not yet ready for prime time. You may
> disagree and that is okay. It may be right for your application.  I am,
> at this point, not willing to bet my uptime numbers on it :)

Oracle has done a pretty good job of shooting itself in the foot with hpux and perhaps solaris over the last 5 years.

A long time ago one could depend on patchsets and some high quality testing being done by oracle for the solaris and hpux customer base. These days well not so much ...

If you have not seen issues with patchsets installing on hpux cleanly then well you probably have not been looking or doing the installs. Things get submitted as platform specific bugs and perhaps fixed in subsequent patchsets then they get left out and have to be pushed thru yet again.

The message that Oracle is sending out about operating system selection to customers is pretty clear for better or worse. Received on Sun Apr 12 2009 - 09:19:58 CDT

Original text of this message