Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:52:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 10, 2:36 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

snip

> > Anything but "hot backup". Not all OS backups are hot. They can be cold too.
>
> Not really much advantage to cold backups, these days.  Not using RMAN
> these days can be categorized as "stupid, unless specifically
> justified."  And of course, RMAN can do cold too, as it has been able
> to for a long time.  Can't say as I've ever bothered with that.

Let's go back to the post that noted just perhaps a cold backup of some kind might supplement a different backup stategy.

It is hard for me to imagine that 90+ percent of the oracle databases currently running could not get away with a weekly or monthly cold backup or at least shutdown/restart of some kind.

The 10 percent maybe that cannot live like that are a separate category.

So Joel now you are posting against some kind of possible cold backup strategy and also noting that you do not have any experience with rman cold backups?

Not sure what direction you are headed in or why ... Received on Fri Apr 10 2009 - 17:52:29 CDT

Original text of this message