Re: same application on multiple schemas

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:26:37 -0500

Jeremy wrote:
> In article <M7IDl.4500$im1.4076_at_nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com>,
> maustin_at_firstdbasource.com says...>
>> Alberto wrote:
>>> Hello, I'm designing a new big application.
>>>
>>> The application will be instantiated for multiple users. Each
>>> application must have its own "database", or schema, Oracle speaking.
>>>
>> How many users per schema? This "scheme" sounds like a disaster waiting
>> to happen.  Do they need separate schemas or do they need separate
>> databases instances?
>>

> Why should it be a disaster waiting to happen? Suppose you were
> providing and appplication for multiple customers on a single database.
> And suppose one of those customers used the system far more heavily than
> other customers and it was decided to separate that user on its own

There are CPU/performance governors for that.

> database or server? Having a schema per customer then makes it easy to
> move it to another location.

or so you think. If you gauge your customers correctly, you will build the infrastructure to handle any workload prior to deployment.

 > Another valid scenario might be that the
> customer starts off with the system hosted by a supplier but wishes an
> option to host on its own environment down the line.

given your initial post, the use (multiple customers) was not that clear. That being said, having a database in Oracle with multiple schemas <> the multiple database paradigm used by SQLServer. The security models may also be a challenge. You will need to map out how security (users, application admins etc...) will be managed in this app/server. Keeping clone of app1 from accessing or pointing to app0 database etc...

One major hurdle you will need to overcome is the licensing issue - talk to your Oracle sales staff. Received on Fri Apr 10 2009 - 12:26:37 CDT

Original text of this message