Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:07:06 -0500

"jgar the jorrible" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:879adcc1-6bdc-493e-b003-301bc58ad40a_at_x31g2000prc.googlegroups.com... On Mar 27, 5:15 pm, "Bob Jones" <em..._at_me.not> wrote:

> > So yes, it is DBA basics. I really have not done too many Hot
> > Backups, which is why I was asking what others opinions and experience
> > with both are.
>
> I have no idea why you guys keep referring to non-RMAN backup as "hot
> backup". That is just wrong terminology.

  • We are referring to the copying of Oracle files while the db is
  • running. This results in an inconsistent set of data files, which can
  • be made consistent on recovery by the application of redo. However,
  • if the data files are not placed into backup mode before copying,
  • there may not be enough information in redo to make them consistent.
  • RMAN inconsistent backups are also hot backups, but RMAN is smarter
  • than operating system utilities and can copy the blocks in the data
  • files in a way that avoids the problems of redo, as well as avoiding
  • suspending the system.

I am not sure what you meant by avoiding redo problems and suspending the system. I see neither being a problem with non-RMAN backups.

  • In this thread, and fairly commonly, the distinction is made by
  • calling the OS inconsistent copies hot backups and the RMAN
  • inconsistent copies RMAN backups.

Actually this is the first time I have ever heard that.

  • What terminology do you use?

Anything but "hot backup". Not all OS backups are hot. They can be cold too. Received on Thu Apr 09 2009 - 19:07:06 CDT

Original text of this message