Re: Query to find first missing integer in a field

From: ddf <>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 06:29:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 8, 8:19 am, DeanB <> wrote:
> Thanks. We would only re-use an empty 'slot' when inserting new data,

A bad idea, indeed, as it makes the application impossible to scale and hampers the performance..

> rather than trying to correct any existing records. It may be that we
> only have 10K records, but with IDs up in the millions, like it or
> not, some consultants complain about such things.

They should possibly think of doing something else for a living as hacking away at production data simply to satisfy some childish whim (my opinion) is wrong.

> Doing all child-
> table inserts in a transaction will ensure referential integrity.
> No purge or archive process exists for these tables.- Hide quoted text -

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Apr 08 2009 - 08:29:01 CDT

Original text of this message