Re: 'lost updates' for web apps

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:46:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 7, 4:28 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 1:02 pm, student4li..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Could someone please inform me if setting ISOLATION LEVEL to either
> > 'READ COMMITED' or 'SERIALIZABLE' can remedy 'lost updates'problem for
> > web-apps? I am using Oracle 10G. TIA.
>
> It depends.  Go to asktom.oracle.com and search on those terms.
> You'll learn a lot, but it depends on your web-apps as to whether you
> can even remedy your problem.  In particular,http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:3...
> addresses the obvious question of whether you mean lost updates or
> something else.  As used there, this would be something outside the
> database, so a group about the database might not be the right place
> to ask, or the answer may be no, it can't remedy the problem.
>
> Here's a mini-faq about posting on this group:  http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/apr/07/general-motors-seg...

I would say the answer is generally no. If the web page does not have a persistent connection but rather runs stateless as most web pages do then it is up to the developer to verify that the data being updated has not changed between the time it was presented and the time of the update.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Apr 07 2009 - 15:46:10 CDT

Original text of this message