Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 03:17:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 2, 8:41 pm, jgar the jorrible <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

snip

> I've seen a few problems with recovery, and am kind of surprised you
> haven't.  But I can't think of anything that could be resolved by a
> cold backup - if you have to go that far, you've lost data.

Ummm no "if" you have archivelogs past the cold backup to the ( or very close to the ) current time you can apply these and forward recovery from a cold backup ... that's been a valid technique for all the time I have been invovled with oracle.

> rcyoung, I challenge you - give an example where a cold backup
> resolved a problem that couldn't be resolved by a hot backup.

Joel he made a valid point but many people don't have disk space to also hold cold backup(s) or enough downtime to get them refreshed on a ( whatever that means ) viable basis. Received on Fri Apr 03 2009 - 05:17:16 CDT

Original text of this message