Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:41:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 2, 3:41 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:14:35 -0700, rcyoung wrote:
> > If you put ALL your trust in any "hot backup" then you are asking for
> > trouble. Many times you can get by, but sooner or later you will run
> > into a problem that only a "cold backup" can resolve. To borrow some
> > lingo ...."Always have a COLD one on hand!".
>
> Are you the consultant that Oracle WTF is talking about? I have
> this article in mind:
>
> http://oracle-wtf.blogspot.com/2009/03/consultant-on-backups.html
>
> God bless you! I did recovery in many of its forms and have never
> had a problem with a hot backup. Would you object to my forwarding
> your post to the author of the Oracle WTF blog?
>
> --http://mgogala.freeh ostia.com

I've seen a few problems with recovery, and am kind of surprised you haven't. But I can't think of anything that could be resolved by a cold backup - if you have to go that far, you've lost data.

rcyoung, I challenge you - give an example where a cold backup resolved a problem that couldn't be resolved by a hot backup.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/250698/angry-villagers-run-google-out-of-town.html