Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:43:43 -0500

jgar the jorrible wrote:
> On Mar 27, 8:01 am, John Schaeffer <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 9:30 pm, "Bob Jones" <em..._at_me.not> wrote:
>>
>>> "Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hot backup and economy? That's ingenious.
>> Well, I've used RMAN before, and I'm all for it.  There is so much it
>> does and takes care of for you which a Hot Backup cannot.  But, these
>> other nuts want to switch and I'm hoping to get a bunch of reasons why
>> not to switch from all of you.......
>>
>> Thanks!

> We might help more if you said their reasons to switch... you can see
> from this thread that this grates on the fundamentals of dba work.
>
> Michael Austin wrote:
>
>> EMC has the BCV (Business Continuity Volume) where they use HotBackup
>> Mode to "clone" a database by breaking a mirror and importing it into
>> another instance.  Again, On a very busy system, once or twice/week they
>> would end up with corrupt undo-segments causing ORA-600 errors pointing
>> to those corrupt segments.  Basically, if you continually do a
>> "controlled" crash like this, you are lucky more often than not if it
>> works...

> Did this happen with an alter db backup surrounding the break?
> Yeesh. I've been wondering about what will happen putting the db into

Yes it does/did... Again using the methodology is essentially initiating a controlled crash. - but, as I have experienced, depending on where the Database writer and logwriters are at the exact moment of the break, you can get corrupted UNDO segments and then you are hosed - and now you try again - maybe next time you will get lucky and it will work.