fetch size too big causes hang

From: Jim <jim_at_trainplayer.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:27:01 -0700 (PDT)

I once had a good connection from my machine to our Oracle server, but something has gone wrong lately apparently with transferring packets over the network. Here's the symptom:

I connect in SQLPlus and do a large select. Records scroll by. I then fool with SET ARRAYSIZE and do the same select. When I set the value to 400 or below, no problem. If I set it to 450 or above, it hangs and never comes back.

Another symptom: I have an app which connects via ADO. I can set FETCHSIZE in the connect string to 100 with no problem, but if I set it to 500 or above, it hangs. (The default value is 1000, which works fine for everyone else.)

This is after a clean new install of the 10g client. I don't have any other network speed or connection issues. The problem has been going on for months now, and as I say, it used to work fine from this machine (no, I don't exactly know when it started or what I happened to be doing that day). I am finally so desperate as to ask for help from you fine folks. Please suggest something I might try.

  • Jim