Re: RMAN Error

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 25, 10:00 am, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Mar 25, 12:34 pm, John Schaeffer <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > > Personally I like to separate out delete expired functionality from
> > > delete obsolete also ... ( in separate runs ).
>
> > Not sure I quite understand the crosschecks before any backup
> > commands, but I can try your suggestion.

By doing this you are basically telling Oracle to be sure everything is where Oracle thinks it is, before it starts dinking around with things.

> Cross checks before delete's is what I am recommending that you
> consider.  Maybe a factor in your original symptom maybe not.

That's what I've wound up doing, since some stuff gets deleted outside of the automatic deletes, since the automatic deletes don't always work exactly as expected. Never quite figured out if it was a bug or something I do wrong, but am quite willing to assume it's me. I have several databases sharing a large device, and have had issues with not quite figuring the space allowance correctly (ie, the first time on a test db). Also what Oracle counts as a backup for purposes of redundancy can be confusing, show all rman settings and be sure they are understood.

The state of the the packages ORA-4068 type of error can come from a number of things that cause recompilation, including changing grants, flushing shared pool, dependencies on other recompilation (which may not always be obvious), and a bunch of other things I can't think of right now. See metalink 778842.1 for some bugs. So it could be as simple as something getting aged out of the shared pool, then being called, you might consider enlarging shared pool some (just to push off shared pool fragmentation problems) and definitely should consider looking and seeing what is in there when.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"Everyone makes mistakes sometimes."