Re: change the hostname and IP address on linux database server

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:01:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 24, 10:29 am, gar..._at_jamms.org wrote:
> On 20 Mar, 23:15, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> > On Mar 20, 2:30 pm, emdproduct..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Please don't top post.  Most people on cdos won't bother with postings
> > like this.
>
> > > If you have a paid job, why do you waste your time if you are not here
> > > to help people?
>
> > No shortage of symptoms of GOMS ( Grumpy Old Men Syndrome ) here on
> > this message board.
>
> > The person responding to you at some point here used to provide a fair
> > amount of help to people ... not so much anymore.
>
> John,
>
> The OP has a history of posting documentation-related questions.
> While I don't always agree with Sybrand's... directness... I, too, am
> growing weary of this group being used more and more as a substitute
> for reading the documentation, and I can understand his sentiment.
> In my opinion, one of the purposes of this group should be to enhance
> existing documentation, not replace it.

The answers to such questions should be in the faq, and polite direction should be given to the appropriate place in the faq.

If they are not in the faq or easily found in the faq, then they are not unreasonable questions, the faq needs enhancement.

> By responding to these types of posts, you encourage this behaviour.

To me it's obvious that some people will not read the docs or the faqs, so I'm not against Sybrand - the anarchist within even enjoys the flame. However, all these posts are archived in stone forever, and other people finding these posts should be able to follow the trail to the answers, not just a bunch of RTFM's. Some private email to the offenders with a more measured response in public might be more appropriate?

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
“We need to figure out how we make this bonk-you-over-the-head obvious