Re: 10g install problem - didnt set orcl instance passwords

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 21, 12:15 pm, ssslith..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello.  I'm an oracle novice and  have just installed 10g on my XP
> laptop from a download.  I didn't enter a password for the "orcl"
> default db instance, and now cannot login to OEM.  I can get into
> SQL*Plus, and understand that I should be able to reset passwords
> there.  Even when I create another DB, I still can't get into OEM for
> that DB.  Any insight????  thanks in advance!

Do you really need the default orcl instance/database that you created? If you don't you can set the service to disabled ...

Why not start over from scratch ( uninstall oracle ... ditch any registry entries or services left over ( if any ) ... then reinstall  )?

Might be a real good idea to real the installation documentation ( freely available ... see http://tahiti.oracle.com ) for your operating system before getting carried away. I also recommend Tom Kyte's "Expert Oracle Database Architecture" at least the first several chapters.

If you are just kind of hacking away and shooting in the dark ... well it can be painful over a newsgroup to try to get back on target ... assuming that you have some kind of plan. Received on Sat Mar 21 2009 - 12:38:56 CDT

Original text of this message