Re: Patch Oracle Express Edition

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:08:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 18, 12:57 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 04:32:35 -0700, Paulie wrote:
> > That threat to Oracle's revenues just got a lot bigger with the collapse
> > of the world's financial markets

Not really, with all the aquisitions, a bigger proportion of Oracle's income is from ongoing support, which is also more stable than trying to sell stuff into a downer market. The world financial problems mean more companies will just keep what they have (except for those pesky expensive humans), and consolidation of some companies means plenty of consulting work for certain types of consultantcies.

Interesting Oracle just declared their first dividend.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/03/19/oracle_q3fy09_growth/

> The crisis is forcing many companies to start utilizing OSS databases
> where they can get away with that. Keeping track of the office supplies,
> staff birthdays, NFL pools and other such things is now relegated to MySQL
> and PgSQL. I am valiantly fighting for PgSQL but so far MySQL is winning
> the marketing battle and I am not sure why. With cost cutting policies
> implemented all over the place, OSS databases will inevitably gain ground.
>
> --http://mgogala.freeho tia.com

So... is IBM buying Sun? http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-AV024A_SCHWA_NS_20090318190824.gif

I still think the cost cutting folk will see the proportion of manual labor involved with OSS work as bad. I'd love to have a Zagato http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090302/GENEVA/903029981 but Corvette is best I can ever hope for.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
If at first you don't succeed, captaining a nuke sub isn't for you.