Re: Is there a tool to allow users to build algorithms that are then run by database

From: Paulie <linehan.paul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:07:06 -0700 (PDT)

> Using Oracle 10gR2 on unix Solaris.

> We have a database that has equipment tables, readings tables, and lookup
> tables associated with equipment. we will take both join them, apply
> algorithms to create a health index for each piece of equipment (e.g. take
> age, oil readings, etc, add, substract, mulitply various factors etc). The
> algorithms will be in form of SQL select statements with some functions
> etc. We can hardcode them, but the users are requesting the ability to
> view the algorithm, modify them, copy them and modify them, create new ones
> etc, and then have scritps use those algorithm to generate healt indexes.
>
> Is there a tool to allow non-programmers the ability to do that, that is
> create complex quieres that will populate columns and have those stored in
> the database and used by scripts or stored procedures.

Users should only be given the ability to write scripts to the extent that

  1. they understand what they are doing and
  2. they can understand what they *_may_* be doing to the server!

With Python for example, you could have infinite flexibility for your end-users - even with a gui if required.

The questiona here are

  1. do you want to let your users loose on your data?

and

b) what are your available skillsets - you may love Python (or Delphi or Java or C...),
you can do what you want in any of them.

HTH. Paul... Received on Wed Mar 18 2009 - 11:07:06 CDT

Original text of this message